Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, February 14, 2011

Away from the screen = more creativity

I'm working on a book which many are encouraging me to get published. The process itself is worth the effort, no matter what the result. So while writing the book, I'm observing the process to see what it has to tell me. It's been telling me many things:
  1. There is an internal "critic" trying to convince me that I'm wasting my time, that it's not good enough, that no one will be interested in it, etc. etc. etc. This critic, who I have named "Sigmoid" (I know it's a rather messy part of the colon, so it fits well), is having a fit that I'm having so much fun. Sigmoid is also on my case about the Blog. Is he worth listening to?
  2. I'm recovering from surgery and have not been able to carry my laptop from my office to my "cell." Guess what? I've been getting more useful insight about the book away from the computer than when I spent all my time at the computer working on the book. Go figure . . .
Have a nice day!

1 comment:

  1. I find i get equally creative ideas whether or not I'm in front of the computer. My problem is that I often forget them if I don't write them down. The computer makes that easy. Also, the flow of my thoughts seems to be better when I'm at the computer, and I can more easily edit them as need be.

    ReplyDelete