Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, February 11, 2011

A mini-"vacation" in a hospital waiting room.

Well, I'm back sooner than I expected to be. The operation was a success, but obviously I am dealing with a lot of surgical pain. Writing helps distract me.

So there I was--walking into the "Pre-Op Family Waiting Room," which was very nicely appointed. I noticed some striking works of art on the walls, all different scenes from Italian villas. So instead of sitting around waiting and being nervous, I decided to take a trip through the mini art gallery in the waiting room. I actually walked from one piece to another; they were very evocative and for a few moments I was drawn into a lovely world. It was a nice vacation. Certainly better than sitting and waiting for my name to be called, with fearful thoughts going through my head.

And, by the way, I love Catholic Medical Center. Such wonderful, loving care in such a pleasant setting.
Sick joke: When it comes to dealing with pain, the Catholics do it best!

No comments:

Post a Comment