Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Becoming more aware

I asked my students to go and do something completely alone and report back about what they noticed. Here is what one person wrote:
Going out into the wilderness with no worries in the world was one of the most enjoyable, relaxing, amazing experiences I have had in my entire life. I found myself imagining and thinking about things that I would not have otherwise. If I was with someone else, I would have been too engaged in conversation to notice some of the aspects of nature that I did.
How much do we miss because we're constantly yapping. What if you stopped talking on your cell phone while walking from one place to another? I bet your world will be come much bigger than what you're yapping about.

1 comment:

  1. Who said something like It is only when you are verbally quiet and quiet your mind can you truly hear God. Also, in my parish here in Hudson during Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and (vigil) Saturday, our pastor implores people when leaving the services those days to be absolutely quiet not just in the church but in the parking lot and even in the car on the way home. And EVERYONE does it; not even a whisper! The silence is profound and moving!

    ReplyDelete