Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, September 26, 2016

A warning to the wealthy

Monday, September 26, 2016
Psalm study today: Psalm 49

The parable of the rich man and Lazarus was proclaimed in our churches yesterday, and I had my schola sing a little meditation which contrasted Lazarus’ misery to his peace and joy resting in the bosom of Abraham, while nothing is said of the rich man’s life but instead emphasizes the fact that his fate was one of eternal torment. The parable is meant to show the fate of anyone of means who neglects the needs of the poor, and I found myself wishing that some of our politicians would take this parable to heart.

For the refrain of the meditation I offered a somber and stern prediction: Woe to those who do not listen to the teachings of the Lord.

I don’t really believe in coincidences, and I prefer to call them “God-incidences.” No accident, perhaps, that in the afternoon I attended the performance of Bach’s Cantata #149 and heard this verse sung:

Ah, Lord, let your dear angels
at my last end carry my soul
to Abraham’s bosom, while
my body in its narrow chamber of sleep,
gently without pain and torment
rests until the last day!

This could well be a prayer that Lazarus himself uttered while begging at the door of the rich man and receiving nothing from him.

Now what does all this have to do with Psalm 49? Well, Psalm 49 is a didactic psalm (=one that teaches) exposing the folly and stupidity of the rich who “trust in their wealth and boast of the vastness of their riches” (v. 7) and, I presume, like the rich man in the parable, do not devote their wealth to good and charitable deeds which would assure for them riches in heaven, just like they do for us when we perform them and when we give.

The Psalm teaches that
·         they can’t buy their lives or ransom their souls with their riches
·         they can’t avoid death
·         when they die they will bring nothing with them of what the possessed on earth: “Like sheep they are driven to the grave, where death shall become their shepherd.” (v. 15)
·         they cannot take their earthly richness with them, or their fame and high standing in life.
·         and here is the fiercest condemnation: Though he flattered himself while he lived, ‘people will praise me for all my success,’ yet he will go to join his forebears, and will never see the light anymore.”
·         richness does not bring wisdom; it does not ensure eternal life; it turns the selfish one into a beast to be destroyed.

Of course, it is a warning to us as well, and I present to you as a commentary on the parable of Lazarus and the rich man.

One further remark: perhaps when we consider these things, we might be protected from the vice of envy. Ultimately, there is nothing to be envied when we consider the rich.

God bless you!


No comments:

Post a Comment