Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Deeper awareness

Wednesday, September 21, 2016
I’m rereading a book called “Writing and the Spiritual Life” by Patrice Vecchione which I would recommend to anyone who is engaged or who wants to be engaged in creative pursuits. One of the things I like about the book is the way she encourages attitudes of mind and heart that are integral to the spiritual life. Today I’m going to quote from a chapter about awareness, and about looking at things not from the mind but from the heart. Here it is:

When I was a child my father occasionally spoke to me about light, particularly how the color of the buildings in certain neighborhoods in lower Manhattan were affected by late afternoon light. We’d be walking together and he’s stop me with a hand on my shoulder and say, “Look,” as he stared down the street. There was no parade going by, no movie star getting out of a limo; it was the light he was referring to, how it changed what he saw and gave everything a glow and warmed the colors. He had a tone of voice that was reserved for those observations alone. I wouldn’t otherwise have noticed that last bit of musty brightness before the dark comes. . . . He was drawing me to notice more than the actual light, to find a quality of attention that came from deep inside . . .  (p. 16)

Can you encourage yourself to see, to listen, to feel from a place within you that is deeper than where you usually see, listen and feel from? Can you reach down to the place within you where God has planted his Spirit that cries out, “Abba, Father,” and prays to the Father when you cannot pray and when you are oblivious to his action? If you could do that even just for a brief moment, you will have lived a more enlightened life than what you usually live.

God bless you!



No comments:

Post a Comment