Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Thursday, September 22, 2016

Chasing after illusions

Thursday, September 22, 2016
Today I’m just offering you some things which you can put together in a way that helps you.

1. From today’s first reading (from Ecclesiastes)

Vanity of vanities, says Qoheleth, vanity of vanities!
All things are vanity!

2. And here Jesus speaks, in The Imitation of Christ:

They are more joyful over an empty illusion than they are over the truth. Sometimes their hopes come to nothing, but my promise misleads no one, or does it send away empty-handed anyone who trusts in me.

3. And finally, another chapter from my upcoming book, The Tao of Music

Some pursue what only brings disappointment
   and kills the bliss of the song.

What are these things that imped the breath of beauty?
     seeking praise
     the quest for perfection
     hanging on
     controlling
     using
     possessing
     flaunting
               and others that you know for yourself.

None of these has ever brought the simple joy and freedom
          of letting things pass through.

I look back, and I know, and no one has to prove this to me.

By seeking what truly nourishes,
     I am enriched and strengthened
          and creativity begins to flow.

If I cherish these things,
     I must remain empty:
          empty of desire
              of preferences
                   of self-will.

I must surrender the illusion
     that my fullness is wiser
         than the Master’s emptiness.

Only in emptiness can the music fill me
    with what it was born to give.

True learning, true love, true beauty, true music
   come from silence and listening.

Silence and listening are blocked
   by the clamor of vain thoughts,
     idle chatter,
        worthless opinions,
and the arrogance which prevents true wisdom
            from entering the soul.

Better to do nothing
    so that we can gain everything.

This is the way things are.
This is Tao.

Please use what you find helpful, and leave the rest aside. Have a nice day.


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment