Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Life and scriptures intersect!

I was praying yesterday for a young man who is seriously depressed to the point of being suicidal. Perhaps you would pray for him as well. I resolved to offer my Mass for him last night (we have daily Masses at 5:15 pm), and the first reading was from Job. Job was seriously depressed, not to the point of suicide, but to the point where he was lamenting the day he was born:

“Perish the day on which I was born, the night when they said, ‘The child is a boy!’ Why did I not perish at birth, come forth from the womb and expire? Or why was I not buried away like an untimely birth, like babes that have never seen the light? wherefore did the knees receive me? or why did I suck at the breasts? For then I should have lain down and been tranquil; had I slept, I should then have been at rest.” (Job 3:1-3)

The appropriateness of this reading in light of what I held in my heart in prayer was uncanny. Once again, as it has so often, the scriptures for Mass have resonated with the concerns and prayers I had brought to the Mass.

Once again I was reminded that the Scriptures, all of the Scriptures, are about life—not about life in general, but actually about our lives in the here and now. And when those times come where we find the scriptures do not speak directly to us, well we should still immerse ourselves into the texts and pray for those in the world for whom those words may be relevant and true on any given day. And so, as that text was proclaimed, I united it to the suffering heart of the man I was praying for.

This happens a lot when we pray the psalms in the Monastic Office. The psalms are a poetic expression of our human emotions, and on any given day a psalm may speak not directly to we who are praying it, but it still does speak to and about people for who those words may be relevant and true, as I have said above.
This is true in so many cases. Oftentimes a psalm laments the poor state of someone who has been falsely accused in court of a crime he has not committed; consider all those who find themselves in such a condition and pray with them and for them; remember also that Our Lord Jesus Christ knows full well, through experience, what it is like to be falsely accused of something, even to the point where he receives a death sentence.

Sometimes the psalm expresses the pain of one who finds himself pressed in on every side from violent enemies. Consider the pain of all of those who are serving and suffering on battlefields throughout the world.

Sometimes the psalm is a great praise for blessings and gifts received, but on one particular day, we may not feel that way. Nonetheless, rejoice with those who are rejoicing, and also consider the realities in our own lives which are actual reasons for rejoicing even though on a particular day we may not feel like we are “an alleluia from head to foot,” to borrow one of St. Augustine’s favorite phrases.

Meanwhile, I pray for those who cannot pray for themselves. I encourage you to do that same thing.


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment