Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, February 13, 2017

Give it over

Monday, February 13, 2017
A man spoke with me about a dilemma he was in, a dilemma of his own making. (Isn’t it true that we are often the authors of our own misery?) He had done something wrong at work and then lied to his boss about it. His conscience was urging him to clear things up with his boss, but he was uncomfortable (“terrified” was the word he used) about doing so. He was determined to become ruthlessly honest about the situation but didn’t know how he would proceed or what he would say or how he would overcome his fear.

I told him to pray about it and then to stop worrying about it. “If you pray about it,” I said, “then you are giving it over to God and God will help you handle the situation. At the right moment you will find the right thing to say, and then you have done what it is you set out do to.”

Notice that I had nothing to say about the consequences of his confession. The consequences are out of our control, and yet, I wouldn’t be surprised if he were to discover that his confession would lead to something good. It’s been my experience that God tends to work that way in the long run.

How about you?


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment