Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, February 22, 2017

The "hope verses"

Wednesday, February 22, 2017
Today we resume our reflection on Sirach 2 which we began yesterday.

There are a few lines in this chapter that I consider to be the hope verses which follow the discussion of trials, adversity, “crushing humiliation” and the like. These verses are so special to me that I once wrote a song based on them which we still sing from time to time at the Abbey. Here are the verses (Sirach 2:7-9). I am attempting to post a picture of the music on this page as well. Please note that it is copywrited ©1983, Bede Camera and Saint Anselm Abbey.


You who fear the Lord, wait for his mercy,
   turn not away lest you fall.
You who fear the Lord, trust him,
   and your reward will not be lost.
You who fear the Lord, hope for good things,
   for lasting joy and mercy.

Time and time again in our lives we are faced with situations and experiences that are so daunting or even frightening that we can find great consolation, encouragement and hope in these verses. I encourage you to memorize them.

Notice that the verses demand a certain response from us. They exhort us to be patient (wait for his mercy), to trust even when things are going wrong that there is a reward waiting for us at the end of our ordeal, and finally to hope for what we may not be experiencing at the moment we pray these lines: lasting joy and mercy.

These are the things that await us when we can turn to the Lord at a moment when we might not even feel He is present or that He is acting in our lives. And in such situations we can turn to the Lord Who has endured far worse trials than we can every undergo, to the point where He cried out, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me” but then rediscovered his capacity to hope and to trust: “Into your hands I commit my spirit.”

Don’t give up.


God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment