Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Your suffering has a purpose

Tuesday, February 21, 2017
I remember when I made my first visit to a monastery and was seeking guidance from the Prior. One of the first things he told me to do was to go and memorize chapter 2 of the Book of Sirach. I took his advice and it bore fruit. This chapter has been a faithful support throughout the years of my monastic life, and I have turned to it again and again in good times as well as in times of trial and difficulty. And it turns out that this chapter is often read on the Feast of Saint Benedict and on the occasions of monastic professions, so it is a chapter which is dear to monks and nuns. It also happens to be the first reading for today’s Mass.

The chapter is brutally honest and doesn’t beat around the bush:
                When you come to serve the Lord, prepare yourself for trials.  (*I’m using an older translation from the New American Bible because that is the one I hold in my heart. I don’t care for the translation being used at Mass today; I feel it is too wordy and tends to weaken the power of the message.)

It provides good and solid advice for those undergoing those trials:
                Be steadfast, undisturbed in times of adversity.

It tells us to “toughen up,” surrendering to the moment no matter what it brings, and reminds us that there is a purpose in our suffering:
                Accept whatever befalls you, in crushing misfortune be patient;
                For in fire gold is tested, and worthy men in the crucible of humiliation.

And after all this, it reminds us that, to borrow the words of a song, we never walk alone.
                Trust God and he will help you; make straight your ways and hope in him.

It reminds us to remember what the Lord has done in the past:
Study the generations long past and understand;
has anyone hoped in the Lord and been disappointed?
Has anyone persevered in his fear and been forsaken?
Has anyone called upon him and been rebuffed?

This last passage underscores for us just how important it is that we become aware of the stories and characters of salvation history so that we can grow in the virtue of hope.

More about this wonderful chapter tomorrow.


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment