Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Seeing, hearing and remembering

Tuesday, February 14, 2017
In today’s Gospel passage, the Lord rebukes the disciples:

Are your hearts hardened? Do you have eyes and not see, ears and not hear?  And do you not remember? (Mark 8_17-18)

I will use this rebuke as the basis for an examination of conscience. Perhaps there will be some things that you can use yourself.

--Yes, my heart has been hardened. I can remember times before I had fully embraced the Lord when I was grossly insensitive to so many things, when I was ignorant of things which eventually served to open and soften my heart. I must pray to the Lord the words of Psalm 25: “Do not remember the sins of my youth.”

--I find that as I get older, and perhaps because of the practice of contemplation, I am able to see things which I couldn’t see before: particularly the pain that other people carry around with them. Because of the process of ongoing conversion, where once I was prone to judge, now I am more apt to gaze upon another with empathic understanding. The process isn’t complete yet; sometimes I still fail to open my eyes. And on the other hand, I discover that I am becoming, bit by bit, more able to be “blown away” by the extraordinary amount of beauty there is in the world around me. I can take delight in, and savor things which I have previously taken for granted. Forgive me, Lord, my lack of gratitude and my lack of compassion.

--Can I, do I really hear what there is around me? The hidden signals in another’s voice?  Am I oblivious to the important messages contained in the readings I hear proclaimed throughout the day and at Mass? Am I able to hear beneath the words what another is trying to convey? No, sometimes I am so quick to put my own filters on what another is saying and I can not understand what another is meaning. Please heal my deafness, Lord, and forgive those times when I have put my hands over my ears lest I hear what would challenge, correct, or enlighten me.

--How forgetful I am! Time and time again I am faced with a new dilemma or trial or vexing problem and I forget all the times the Lord has come to my aid, has untangled knots, has offered solutions and strength and forbearance in my life. And yet again, I tend to grow fearful and to doubt that the Lord will not be with me this time, in this event, with this obstacle or challenge. Lord, I believe; help thou my unbelief!


That’s it for today. God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment