Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, February 10, 2017

The breath of God

Friday, February 10, 2017
“It is the breath of God that you breathe—and you are unaware of it.”  Theophilus of Antioch (Second Century)

Take a breath. It doesn’t matter how fast or slow, how shallow or deep. Realize that the breath you take is what keep you alive. The day will come when you will breathe your last breath, and then you will cross the threshold between this life and the next.

That breath sustains you, and when God made man, He breathed on him the breath of life. He continues to breathe in us. Oh, that we might be conscious of God’s activity in our lives with every breath that we take! But keep in mind that anywhere, anytime, anyhow, you can simply close your eyes and breathe and be in instant contact with the God Who made you and in Whom you have your being. This could be an especially important habit to develop during these days of greater stress in our world. Take a breath, or rather, receive the gift of breath that God gives you, and you can have a 15-second retreat any time you want it.

There is a wonderful old hymn called “Breathe on me, Breath of God” that is sometimes sung on occasions where the attention is on the Holy Spirit---for example, during confirmations. Here is the text:

O breathe on me, O breath of God,
Fill me with life anew,
That I may love the things you love,
And do what you would do.

O breathe on me, O breath of God,
Until my heart is pure;
Until my will is one with yours,
To do and to endure.

O breathe on me, O breath of God,
My will to yours incline,
Until this selfish part of me
Glows with your fire divine.

O breathe on me, O breath of God,
So shall I never die,
But live with you the perfect life
Of your eternity.

Text: Edwin Hatch, 1835-1889


God bless you! Have a wonderful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment