Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Saturday, January 15, 2011

Creativity Blocker (This will probably be a series)

The damn computer. As useful and marvelous it can be, it also gives rise to so many distractions that it derails our creativity, productivity, focus, and ... (you fill in the blank). Case in point: While eating lunch, I had an inspiration for a book I'm working on, and fortunately, I immediately jotted it down in my little "idea book" which I always carry with me for just these moments.
     As soon as lunch was over, I ran over to my laptop so I could get working on the idea. But first, dammit, I had to check my e-mail. Three of the e-mails were about things that could have waited until the end of the weekend--nonetheless, I proceeded to take care of the things that were in the email. Result: momentum lost. Thank God I wrote the idea down before getting to the computer, otherwise that may have been lost as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment