Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, January 21, 2011

Listening, really listening . . .

St. Benedict in the snow
I took advantage of the "snow day" today to read some of the correspondance from my students, and to work on my revision of a "novel" I wrote 10 years ago. My creativity students have been urging me to get back to it, and finally the moment has arrived!

A student wrote to me:
I found that I learn a lot more about people the more I let them talk uninterrupted. I could almost see the thoughts forming on their faces. I also found that people who I thought were far on the left or far on the right side of the political spectrum surprised me the more they talked, everyone tends to lean one way or another but the more they talked the further to the middle they seemed to get.
The student goes on to wonder whether the failure to listen is at the root of so much polarization and argumentativeness in political discourse and on some of the talk shows. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think it's interesting that he's paying attention to other's people thoughts and reactions. It's a great way of feeding creativity, I think. The way he writes has a line of thought, it's not confusing (which is actually quite difficult to get from creative students with tones of ideas popping up at the same time). I like his line of though and, in special, that he is looking and listening.

    Very good texts, been reading your posts and enjoying!

    ReplyDelete