Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Thursday, August 25, 2016

Expressions of suffering and hope

Thursday, August 25

Psalm study today. We are up to Psalm 41, but I’m going to take Psalms 41-44 as a group because each of these psalms are prayed by a person who is in dire straits, who has been attacked by enemies, who has been falsely accused, and who has come almost to the point of despair, thinking that God has abandoned him.

All my foes whisper together against me;
they devise evil plots against me. (41:8)

. . . even my friend, in whom I trusted,
who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me (41:10)

·         Could it be Christ who is praying these words, as Judas leaves the table of the Last Supper to go and betray him? Find Jesus in these psalms if you read them; Find people all over the world who could well be praying these verses; and certainly, find yourself either in the present or in some situations which you have had to endure in the past—and survived (don’t forget that!)

My tears have become my bread,
by day, by night,
as they say to me all the day long,
“Where is your God?” (42:4)

I will say to God, my rock,
‘Why have you forgotten me’ (42:10a)

·         Did not Jesus utter these words before his death on the cross?

Give me justice, O God, and plead my cause
against a nation that is faithless.
From the deceitful and the cunning
rescue me, O God. (43:1)

Awake, O Lord! Why do you sleep?
Arise! Do not reject us forever.
Why do you hide your face,
and forget our oppression and misery (44:24-25)

·         Can you hear in these words the cries of the refugees living without hope in so many places in the world today?
·         Psalm 44 actually begins by recalling all the wonderful things God has done for them in the past, and then goes on to lament the face that in their present difficulties, He seems to be absent.

And finally, in all of these psalms there are expressions of hope and remembrances of the goodness and kindness of God shown towards them in good times. The very last verses of Psalm 44 are an outcry to God to come back and care for the defeated nation once again. Let them be our cry of hope also:

Stand up and come to our help!
Redeem us with your merciful love!


And may the God of mercy and love visit you today and bless you in the midst of whatever difficulties you may be enduring!

No comments:

Post a Comment