Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Thursday, August 11, 2016

Watch out for "the accuser"

I’m coming back to Richard Rohr today, because he describes something which is at the root of all the violence, hatred, bigotry, all the “religious wars” and the toxic politics both in the USA these days and elsewhere. I feel it is a particularly appropriate commentary at this time here in the United States. Here is what he has to say:

I’ve met many holy people around the world, but I’ve also encountered people that I’d have to describe as evil. If I would try to describe the evil people and evil events that I’ve encountered, they’re invariably characterized by a sense of certainty and clarity. They suffer no self-doubt or self-criticism, smirking at people who would dare to question them. They own no shadow from their side, which is always a sign that their evil has been projected elsewhere. Often they are overtly religious. Remember, the very word satan means ‘the accuser.’ Be careful when you see yourself accusing or as Jesus says, ‘throwing stones’ (John 8:8). It is the satanic disguise, a marvelous diversionary tactic.  (Richard Rohr, “Thing hidden: scripture as spirituality, pp. 135-136.

It will be very easy to choose to point to whom Rohr is describing in this passage, and in some cases you—or we—may be correct. Nonetheless, if we are to maintain a mature spirituality (that phrase is Rohr’s and I’ve decided to adopt it), we must look to ourselves to see if we harbor any of these tendencies, and then ask the Lord to help uproot them from our own souls and from our own lives.

I also can’t help thinking of a verse from Revelation (12:10) “the accuser of our brethren has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God.” A good verse to remember, especially during this Year of Mercy.


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment