Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, August 8, 2016

From the heart, not from the head

Monday, August 8, 2016
Feast of Saint Dominic, founder of the Dominicans

During the time of my vocational search I almost became a Dominican because I really liked their motto:
“To contemplate and to share with others the fruit of our contemplation.”

Notice, if you will, that the motto talks about “fruit.” Not about knowledge, or theory or theology or Biblical quotations, or even ideas, but rather about “fruit.” The result of prayer and contemplation. Like Jesus says, “You  will know a tree by its fruits” (I’m not giving the reference because I’m running late and don’t have  time to  look it up.)

So anyway, what does this mean for us?

Well, for one thing, don’t throw scripture quotes at someone unless that  quote happens to be a significant part of your own prayer. Note, for example, that when I post reflections about the psalms, the verses I comment on are verses that are an important and vital part of my own personal prayer.

Secondly, don’t talk too much about your ideas about things (That’s one of my ideas that I’m talking to you about). Let it come from your actual experience of the Lord in your prayer. And most of the time, the Lord you meet in prayer is very different from the Lord that is represented by others to you, the Lord whose only domain seems to be in people’s brains. All this is about heart, not about brain.

Finally, pray more. Especially the Jesus Prayer in meditation or prayer without words, as when  you might just sit in silence and stare at the crucifix.

About the crucifix: I have a friend whose husband has to travel a lot for work, and she finds it difficult some times to be without him (they are newly married). And when he’s away, she often walks around the apartment clutching his pillow because it helps her feel like he’s with her. Religious items such as crucifixes, holy cards, icons, etc., can be used as modes of presence in much the same way.

Now you might be completely puzzled about what I’m writing today. If so, just put it all aside and wait for tomorrow’s reflection. If, however, these observations really get you thinking and appeal to you in some way, then I strongly suggest you get yourself a copy of Richard Rohr’s book, “Things Hidden: scripture as spirituality.” and make your way through it slowly.


That’s enough  for today. God bless you all, even if you don’t understand what I’m  talking about, and may good Saint Dominic pray for us all and lead us deeper into contemplation.

No comments:

Post a Comment