Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Thursday, August 4, 2016

For those of you going through a rough time

Thursday, August 5, 2016

Tuesday (I’m sorry I missed yesterday) I wrote about the 4th Step of humility in the Rule of Saint Benedict, and about how people outside of the monastery, in the “real world,” live the 4th step in your regular lives.

I found a passage in another book which serves well as a segue to Tuesday’s Reflection.
Consider, if you will, this statement by Richard Rohr:

Religion is largely populated by people afraid of hell; spirituality begins to make sense to those who have been through hell, that is, who have drunk deeply of life’s difficulties.
(Things Hidden: Scripture as Spirituality, p. 100. I highly recommend this book!)

Why might that be? I offer a couple of suggestions, but it would be most profitable if you came up with some of your own based on your own lived experience rather than on someone else’s theories. What I offer you here comes from my own lived experience, but might not resonate with yours. Anyway, here goes:

·         It has been during the roughest times of all that I desparately reach out for God and for whatever help I can get.
·         During such times, as soon as I have cried out to God, a profound calmness comes upon me, even though I might still be hurt, grieving, confused or frightened about the future.
·         The psalms come to life in a way that they never do before, particularly the psalms of lamentation and pain—which make up about a third of the Psalter.
·         In our own psalm study in these reflections, I have been pointing out verses that speak to us of the way God cares for us. Those are verses which have given me hope in times of despair, comfort in times of pain, patience in times of uncertainty. I am always left with a keen awareness of just how much I am taken care of, even though the difficult situation or circumstances has not yet been resolved, even when I can’t even see one step ahead of me as to how I am to proceed.

How about you?


God bless you this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment