Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, August 5, 2016

Uplifting stories from a friend

Friday, August 5, 2016

A friend sent me one of those wonderfully uplifting emails today. It is so inspiring that I decided to use it as my reflection for the day. Enjoy!

 
>       These 12 short
> stories are all very good lessons,
>       and really make us think twice about
> the daily happenings
>       in our lives as we deal with others!
     
>       1.
> Today,
>       I interviewed my grandmother for part of a
> research
>       paper I'm working on for my
> Psychology class. When I asked
>       her to define success in her own words,
> she
>       said, "Success is when you look back at
> your life and the
>       memories make
>       you smile."
> -------------------------------
> 2.
> Today,
>       I asked my mentor - a very successful business
> man in
>       his 70s- what his top 3 tips are for
> success. He smiled and
>       said, "Read something no one else is
> reading, think something no
>       one else is thinking,
> and do something no one else is
>       doing."
> -------------------------------------------------------
> 3.
> Today, after
>       my 72 hour shift at the fire station, a woman ran
> up to
>       me at the grocery store and gave me a hug.
> When I tensed up,
>       she realized I didn't recognize
> her. She let go with tears
>       of joy in her eyes and the
> most sincere smile and
>       said , "On 9-11-2001, you carried me
> out of the
>       World Trade Center."
> -------------------------------------------------------
> 4.
> Today, after
>       I watched my dog get run over by a car, I sat on
>       the side of the road holding him and
> crying. And just
>       before he died, he licked the tears off
> my face.
>      
> -------------------------------------------------------
> 5.
> Today
>       at 7AM, I woke up feeling ill, but decided I
> needed the money,
>       so I went into work. At 3PM I got laid off.
> On my drive home
>       I got a flat tire. When I went into the
> trunk for the
>       spare, it was flat too. A man
> in a BMW pulled
>       over, gave me a ride, we chatted, and then
> he offered me a job. I
>       start tomorrow.
> -------------------------------------------------------
> 6.
> Today,
>       as my father, three brothers, and two sisters
> stood
>       around my mother's hospital bed, my
> mother uttered her last
>       coherent words before she died. She
> simply said, "I feel so
>       loved right now. We should have gotten together
> like this
>       more often."
> -------------------------------------------------------
> 7.
> Today,
>       I kissed my dad on the forehead as he passed away
> in
>       a small hospital bed. About 5 seconds
> after he passed,
>       I realized it was the first time I had
> given him a kiss
>       since I was a
>       little boy.
> -------------------------------------------------------
> 8.
> Today,
>       in the cutest voice, my 8-year-old daughter asked
> me
>       to start recycling. I chuckled and
> asked, "Why ?" She
>       replied, "So you can help
> me save the planet." I chuckled
>       again and asked, "And why do you want to
> save the planet
>       ?" Because that's where I keep all
> my stuff,"
>       she said.
> -------------------------------------------------------
> 9.
> Today, when
>       I witnessed a 27-year-old breast cancer
>       patient laughing hysterically at her
> 2-year-old daughter's
>       antics, I suddenly realized that I need to stop
> complaining about my
>       life and start celebrating
>       it again.
> -------------------------------------------------------
> 10.
> Today,
>       a boy in a wheelchair saw me desperately
> struggling
>       on crutches with my broken leg and
> offered to carry my
>       backpack and books for
> me. He helped me all the way
>       across campus to my class and as he was leaving
> he said, "I
>       hope you feel
>       better soon."
> -------------------------------------------------------
> 11.
> Today,
>       I was feeling down because the results of a
> biopsy
>       came back malignant. When I got home, I
> opened an e-mail
>       that said, "Thinking of
> you today. If you need me, I'm a
>       phone call away." It was from a high
> school friend I
>       hadn't seen in 10
>       years.
> --------------------------------------------------------
> 12.
> Today,
>       I was traveling in Kenya and I met a refugee from
>
>       Zimbabwe. He said he hadn't eaten
> anything in over 3 days
>       and looked extremely skinny
> and unhealthy. Then
>       my
> friend offered him the rest of the sandwich
>       he was eating. The first thing the man
> said was,
>       "We can share
>       it."
> --------------------------------------------------------
> The best
>       sermons are lived,
>       not preached.
> --------------------------------------------------------
> I am
>       glad I have you to send
>       these to.


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment