Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Examine your reactions


Pay attention to those situations in your life where you react by doing, thinking or feeling something automatically, as if you were programmed like one of Pavlov’s dogs.

When A happens, then I do (think, feel) B.

No reflection, no deliberate thought, no conscious choice.

If you could catch one of those situations and take the time to examine your reaction or mode of reacting closely, you might discover that you now have a choice whether or not to respond in your habitual way or perhaps to re-examine or re-evaluate what has until this point been an unreflective habit.

Questions you might ask yourself: Is this way of reacting appropriate for me at this particular stage of my life or my growth and development? What are the usual consequences to this type of reaction? What happens if I evaluate my reaction in terms of the challenges in yesterday’s reflection? What happens if I bring it to prayer?

You might find yourself living with more freedom, more peace of mind and less angst and turmoil.

It’s worth a try, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment