Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Meditation in times of trouble


In times of adversity, turmoil, temptation, anxiety or any other distress, pray these lines from Psalm 57:
“Have mercy on me, God, have mercy
for in you my soul has taken refuge.
In the shadow of your wings I take refuge
till the storms of destruction pass by.” 

Use these words as the basis for meditation. Don’t think about the issue that is troubling you; instead take several deep breaths and dive deep beneath the turmoil and feel yourself resting in God’s embrace. Stay there as long as you like; return there often, as many times as you need to. Picture your personal storms whirling around while you are safe and secure and protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment