Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Thursday, July 9, 2015

It will be given to you


Early this morning I began wondering what to write about today, when suddenly two Latin words came into my mind: “Dabitur vobis,” meaning, “It will be given to you.”

That’s what Jesus told his apostles. They were going to be arrested and brought before governors and kings to be questioned. He told them not to worry about what to say; it would be given to them at the proper time. This is recorded in Matthew 10:19 (and also in Mark 13 and Luke 21.)

I’ve thought of those words many times over the years, always at times when I wasn’t sure what I was going to say or write in any particular situation. And, always, some inspiration came to me at just the proper time. Has this ever happened to you?

And so, I went to my room and did some reading and praying, and a topic formed in my mind, one that I’m going to save for tomorrow and maybe even the day after that.

But here’s a question for you to consider when and if you have a few moments to yourself: What is the difference between solitude and isolation? More about that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment