Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, July 10, 2015

Solitude and isolation


Solitude and isolation

Solitude is a necessity; isolation is a trap. Solitude is life-giving; isolation is life-taking. One generally seeks solitude in order to be refreshed for subsequent service; a person in isolation has no one left to serve. Solitude builds up the spirit and soul; isolation eats away and weakens what little is left.

Jesus frequently sought solitude in order to pray to his Father, and to prepare for the needs of the people he looked upon “like sheep without a shepherd.” Judas, on the other hand, lived an isolated life; I cannot imagine that he ever really became part of the group of apostles, especially when they were relaxing together. I picture him off in a corner brooding and petulant.

Solitude makes one more sensitive to the needs of others (see “The Joy of the Gospel,” paragraph 9; isolation hardens the heart. “Life grows by being given away, and it weakens in isolation and comfort” (the South American and Caribbean bishops, quoted in “The Joy of the Gospel,” paragraph 10.)

I was standing around with some other monks today after Mass, enjoying a cup of coffee. Finally, I slipped away to go to my room to read and pray and think about these reflections. The solitude I sought helped me have something to offer to others. If I had been isolating myself, there would be nothing to offer, and I would feel far less alive than I have throughout this day.

In short, solitude is a source of blessing. Isolation sources nothing. Choose wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment