Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, January 8, 2016

A fresh way of thinking and acting

The fifth item on our list (see January 3) of signs that we are having a spiritual awakening is this:

 5. A tendency to think and act spontaneously rather than from fears based on past experiences.

When we are asleep (or un-awakened), our thoughts, actions and reactions are automatic, based on some kind of pre-conditioning or programming that we develop as the years go by.  Just three examples might help you get the picture:

·         When X happens, I always do Y.
·         Whenever he says  X, I start thinking Y. 
·         This thought always provokes these emotions.

The other day I was sitting in a room when a man entered who reminded me of someone who had bullied me in high school. My instinctive reaction was fear and uneasiness. I was immediately able to recognize and acknowledge the feelings that were going through me, to recall the times in the past when I had had similar feelings, and then, in freedom and with grace, was able to disassociate them from the man who had entered the room.

I looked at the man and realized that he was a unique individual, one of God’s beloved creatures, loved and cherished by people in his life. I turned off all thoughts of judgment and assessment, and simply let him be.  A bit later I noticed him in conversation with another person in the room, and that the conversation seemed cordial and friendly.

What matters is that my thoughts were now spontaneous and free; I was no longer programmed by old material.

How do we get to this point? Meditation helps a lot. In fact, I attribute my newly-found freedom to a regular practice of meditation where I have learned to realize that I am not my thoughts, but rather the thinker of thoughts, and that countless emotions pass through me every day and I have the freedom not to associate with them.

Saint Paul urges us to “be transformed by the renewal of your mind.” (Romans 12:2). This renewal can be attained through our study of the Scriptures, through our on-going relationship with Jesus Christ, and through the graces which God sends our way every day.  Those who are becoming spiritually awakened are more prone to recognize the graces as they are bestowed on us and to think and act in accord with them.

Have a nice day. God bless you!


No comments:

Post a Comment