Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The effects of gratitude

We continue our discussion of “Signs you are having a spiritual awakening” that I posted on January 3. Today we look at # 2 and # 4 because I believe they are closely related. Here they are:

·         2. Frequent attacks of smiling.
·         4. Frequent overwhelming episodes of appreciation.

When we receive a gift we usually smile. When we get a nice note in the mail from someone who cares for us, we usually smile. When we walk down the street and encounter a dear old friend, we break into a smile. We deeply appreciate these types of things, and they make us smile.

What would happen if we became aware at each and every moment of each and every day that we are being given a precious gift, or a word of love from someone who cares, or when we are surprised by the sight of someone who  is precious to us?

And yet, that is what is continually happening to us, although so often we are unaware of it.

This morning I was walking down a corridor in the monastery. I’ve walked down this corridor thousands of times over the past thirty-three years, but today, for some reason, I noticed the corridor in a special way. I took delight in the light that was shining in through the windows, I noticed the brick-work and gave thanks for how secure I feel, and I reflected on how grateful I am that the Lord has led me to this place and allowed me to make my life here. Needless to say, by the time I got to the end of the corridor, I was smiling.

Pray that the Lord will help you to deepen your sense of profound appreciation, that he will help you notice just how gifted you are at every instance, and that he will fill your heart of the joy of discovered love and caring. He will do this, and you will smile frequently.

Just remember to do as Thich Nhat Hanh advises his readers: Breathe and smile.


God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment