Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Sunday, January 31, 2016

We are not love, but we can evolve

A close reading of the “love chapter” in 1 Corinthians 13 reveals to us our own personal inadequacy. And that’s a good thing, even if it makes us squirm a bit. Whenever or wherever we become aware of our own shortcomings we are receiving an invitation to let the grace and mercy of God enter into our lives in a new way. For this reason, it’s good to use the passage as an examination of conscience.

Love is patient. Love is kind. It is not jealous, it is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

The passage can also be a guide for right conduct, especially at times when we are tempted to act in a way that is not loving, and also during times of tension, stress or conflict. Look to the passage. Pray, “Lord God, You are Love. Lord Jesus Christ, You are Love incarnate.” Lord, I am not always a vessel filled with love. I fall short. I forget what You have taught me. I have a tendency to be not-Love in my thoughts, words and actions. Help me, Lord. Have mercy on me. Help me to live Your word in all aspects of my life. Lord, You are Love; I am not. Please grant me your grace, that I may grow towards what is lacking in me. Lord, help me to love. Amen.”


In His great love and mercy, the Lord uses many means to shed light upon areas of our lives that need forgiveness, healing, and guidance. One of these means is the Scriptures. Seek out the passages that challenge you; don’t run from them or put them aside. Let them convict you, and then let them show you a new way of being. But most especially, in all times and at all instances, know that God’s patience is greater than what we can imagine. Love is patient. May that love be with you now and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment