Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Sunday, May 15, 2016

A Pentecost Prayer

Pentecost 2016

Holy Spirit, guide me, for I’m not sure what to write today.

Holy Spirit, guide me, for I don’t know where to go next in this life.

Holy Spirit, guide me, for I don’t know how to let go of this resentment I feel towards someone.

Holy Spirit, guide me, as you have guided me up until now.

Holy Spirit, lead me to the unknown. Last year at this time I had no idea where I would be now. Again I have no idea where I’m going. All I can do is wait, and trust.

Holy Spirit, help me to be patient and trusting, and help me to put all things into your hands.

Holy Spirit, help me to use the gifts I know you have given me, and to be open to discovering gifts you have yet to bestow on me.

Holy Spirit, help me to rejoice when I see others exercising their gifts. Drive far from me all traces of competition and envy.

Holy Spirit, fill me with joy, peace, patience, self-control, kindness, generosity, gentleness and faithfulness.

Holy Spirit, teach me to savor each moment as a gift, even those moments when I don’t feel particularly gifted or those moments which are filled with tribulation and trial.

Holy Spirit, pray within me, and inspire me to pray constantly. Help me pray for everyone who comes into  my mind this day and always.

Holy Spirit, help me to smile more than frown, to praise more than complain, to search out the good rather than find fault, to believe more than to doubt, to sing more than to moan.

Holy Spirit, help me to care for myself so that I can be caring towards others.

Holy Spirit, give me the grace to let harmful thoughts pass through me rather than take root in me.

Holy Spirit, let me know that You have put my sins far from you, “as far as the east is from the west.”

Holy Spirit, aid me to see you in every page of the sacred writings.

Holy Spirit, thank You for all You have done for me over the years, especially for those things I failed to recognize as gifts from You. Amen.


God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment