Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, May 13, 2016

If you love, then DO

Commentary on John 21:15-19, the Gospel for Friday of the 7th Week of Easter (Year II):

I remember the time when I read this passage and it struck my emotions and I was given the gift of tears. (Well, actually, the damn broke!) To think of it. Peter had denied Jesus, had sinned horribly and in a way which humiliated him, as our sins so often do.

Jesus spoke not a word of reproach. I am reminded of the father’s actions in the parable of the prodigal son, who also spoke no reproach but rather embraced his son and dressed him in fine clothes and proclaimed a feast to celebrate his return.

Not a word of reproach to the miserable sinner. Just this: Do you love me?

I, a poor miserable sinner, stand before the Lord and confess my sins and He replies, Do you love me? And He askes this question knowing full well that yes, I do love Him, even when I go against His wishes and depart from His way and violate His commandments. Even when I do things that hurt others, or am insensitive to others’ needs or neglect to provide something that is needed, something that I easily could have given. Even with all of this, I know that I do indeed love Him. I have failed Him but I love Him.
That must certainly make sense to any parent with wayward children. That is also true when our friends might let us down. They still love us, but their love-capacity was on overload, or even turned off for a time.

Do you love me?
Do you love me?
Do you love me?

Three times the same question to Peter, and each positive answer from him wipes away his three horrible sins. He got the point clearly and was saddened by the third question because he understood why it was asked three times. He was convicted not by a judge, but by the love of the divine Lover.

Do you love him?

Jesus reply was very simple: Go and do something about it. Realize that every single person in the world is part of Jesus’ flock. Every nationality, every race, every circumstance. Do something for them, however that may be possible in your own personal world. Show your love by what you do.
Even the most simple of gestures. Remember that Jesus taught that if we give so much as a cup of water to someone who needs it, we have gained our reward in heaven. So don’t wait for some fantastic opportunity to make a grand gesture. Look for the simple things. Pray to become more attentive, because if you are like me, there are a thousand little needs that I pass by without even giving them a thought.

Lord, what shall I do?
He will answer this question for you just as he did for Peter. It may be something small and seemingly insignificant. It may be your very life? Just be attentive and all shall be well.

God bless you.


No comments:

Post a Comment