Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Peace DURING the storm

Our Psalm study continues today with Psalm 30 which begins with a theme common to so many of the psalms where the composer is in distress:

In you, O Lord, I take refuge.
Let me never be put to shame.

It is assumed that Jesus prayed this Psalm while He was hanging on the cross, and the psalm expresses confidence that God is with Him to deliver Him, just as he is with us to deliver us. Let us keep in mind, however, that Jesus’ journey of pain would take Him so far into terror and darkness that for a time He would lose that confidence and cry out, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me.” (Psalm 22) That is how much He suffered for us.

Have you ever felt forsaken by God? Then this cry of the Lord is yours as well.

Let’s turn back to psalm 30. The Psalmist is under attack from enemies who laid traps for him and who aroused the crowds to slander him and plot against him. Here, once again, we can sense the suffering of Jesus and the prayers He was uttering:

I have heard the slander of the crowd,
fear is all around me,
as they plot together against me,
as they plan to take my life. (v. 14)

Despite what is happening to Him, He continually voices His trust in God, and these are verses which we can call to mind whenever we feel threatened. Here are some of the “confidence verses.”

You are my rock, my stronghold.
For your name’s sake, lead me and guide me. (v.4)

It is you who will redeem me, Lord (v.6)

Let your face shine on your servant.
Save me in your love. (v.17)

And here is one of my favorites; in fact, I wrote music for it when I was a novice in the monastery:

Blessed is the Lord who has shown me
the wonders of his love
in a fortified city. (v.22)
·         What might the “fortified city” represent for you? Could it be the place where you go to when you pray?

May these verses help you in your own struggles and difficulties, now and always.
God bless you.


No comments:

Post a Comment