Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, May 16, 2016

The joy of being forgiven

Today we take a prayerful look at Psalm 32, which expresses the joy of being forgiven. This psalm is often called a “repentance psalm” and yet the mood is joyful. The psalmist begins in pain because he had not confessed his sin: I kept it secret and my frame was wasted. I groaned all day long for night and day your hand was heavy upon me. (vv. 3-4). Can you relate to that feeling, when the guilt of unconfessed sins is painful and oppressive.

The sinner repents and acknowledges his sins. The Hebrew verb here has a wide range of meanings: recognizes, becomes aware of, admits to, among others. Haven’t there been occasions in our lives where we have done something that we could not bring ourselves to believe was sinful, but as time passes and we grow in understanding and wisdom, we get to the point where, finally, we are able to acknowledge that we have sinned? Immediately 3 things happen according to this psalm:

acknowledgment --> confession --> forgiveness  (v. 5)

And then at long last, the psalmist is able to recover the happiness and joy that was lost by sinning, and he is able to proclaim the Lord’s goodness:

So let every good man pray to you
in the time of need.
The floods of water may reach high
but him they shall not reach.
You are my hiding place, O Lord;
you save me from distress.
(You surround me with cries of deliverance.) (v. 6-7)

And now it is the Lord who speaks of His care for His beloved children. Read these lines as a promise made explicitly to you:

I will instruct you and teach you
the way you should go;
I will give you counsel
with my eye upon you. (v. 8)

. . .

Many sorrows has the wicked
but he who trusts in the Lord,
loving mercy surrounds him. (v. 10)

A fitting verse for meditation during this Jubilee Year of Mercy.


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment