Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Thursday, May 12, 2016

Hold that temper!

As you may know, I’ve been reading a book called The Art of Prayer recently. This morning I found a passage which is so practical and helpful that I’ve decided to offer it to you as today’s meditation. I’ve found it to be helpful in light of that fact that I recently lost my temper. I’m sure you know what that’s like. I wish I had read this passage first:

“Make a following rule: first of all, anticipate trouble at every moment and when it comes encounter it as something expected. Secondly, when something happens that conflicts with your will and is on the point of irritating or upsetting you, hasten to bring your attention into your heart and strive with all your might to prevent such feelings from arising: steel yourself against them and pray. If you succeed in preventing feelings of irritation and disturbance from arising within you, then you are finished with your trouble, for these feelings are its starting point. But if even a small feeling is brought to birth, resolve, if possible, not to do or say anything until you have managed to drive it away. If you find it impossible not to say or do something, try not to talk and act according to those feelings but according to God’s commandment, in the manner that He ordains, meekly and quietly, as though nothing had happened.


“In the third place, put out of your mind all expectation that the nature of things will change, and resign yourself to life-long friction. Do not forget this or underrate its importance, for unless you act in this way patience cannot be firmly established. Finally, with all this, preserve a good-humored expression, an affable tone of speech, friendly behavior, and above all avoid reminding people in any way about their unjust words or deeds. Behave as though they had done nothing wrong. Accustom yourself to preserve the remembrance of God unceasingly.”  
Theophan the Recluse.  The Art of Prayer, pp. 228-229.

No comments:

Post a Comment