Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, May 3, 2016

God as Teacher and Protector: Psalm 25

One of the major themes in Psalm 25 is the role the Lord plays in guiding us and also in protecting us when we go astray and leading us back to where we are safest, to a place where we are able to receive and “absorb” the blessings he wishes to bestow upon us. Each of the quotes I offer here can be used as a mantra for your own meditation. Perhaps you would like to adopt one of them as a “slogan” for the day.

First, let’s consider the role of the Lord as Teacher and Guide:

·         Lord make me know your ways.
·         Lord, teach me your paths.
·         Make me walk in your truth and teach me.
·         He guides the humble in the right path;
·         He teaches his way to the poor.
·         If anyone fears the Lord he will show him the path he should choose

And now, concerning those times when we get “off track”
·         He shows the path to those who stray,
·         My eyes are always on the Lord for he rescues my feet from the snare.
·         Set me free from my distress.

And finally, the Lord as Protector:
·         Preserve my life and rescue me.
·         Relieve the anguish of my heart
·         May innocence and uprightness protect me for my hope is in you, O Lord.

There is a lot of fruit for the soul and certainly material for private prayer and meditation.

One way to use these passages is the monastic practice of lectio divina.
·         First, pick one verse which has special meaning for you.
·         Read no further; Simply repeat the verse over and over again, letting it sink like oil into the bones of your heart.
·         Think about what it means for you.
·         Pray to God about it, about your needs and desires and hopes. When possible, conclude your lectio by resting in silent prayer and meditation.


God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment