Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, August 31, 2015

A small good deed

Every now and then I’m given an opportunity to do a purely unselfish good deed to help a needy person. It usually works this way: I observe a particular situation and see someone in need. A “suggestion” pops into my head to go and do something to help that person. For once, I act on the suggestion, which usually means that I end up reaching out and doing something that I usually would never do without God’s grace.

I have to confess, however, that I get far more “suggestions” to be charitable in that way than I tend to act on. Thomas Merton once said that by entering the monastery he knew he would get 100,000 opportunities to be charitable and that he’d probably follow through on a handful of them. Such is my case as well.

The last time I did a good deed, I walked away feeling joyful and grateful. I wasn’t tempted to take pride in what I had done; no, on the contrary, I ended up giving thanks to God who had given me the opportunity in the first place and the grace to act on it.


Has this ever happened to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment