Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Sunday, August 23, 2015

Steps 1, 2 and 3

All across the world, countless thousands of people have found freedom from alcoholism and from other addictions by working what are known as the “12-steps.”  We don’t need to be alcoholics, however, to benefit from thinking in terms of the first 3 of those steps. Not only can they be applied to any kind of addiction; they also can be applied to any weakness or habit or sinful way of thinking that often gets the better of us as we strive for growth and freedom in Christ. This isn’t the exact wording of the steps—I’ve paraphrased them for our purposes here.

The first step: I admit I am powerless over >>>>>>>>   and because of it, my life is unmanageable.  What gets the better of you time and time again despite all your efforts to be free of it?

The second step. I believe that God has the power to restore me to balance and good sense. (The actual word used here is “sanity.”

The third step is a profound act of surrender, in faith and humility: I turn my life over to Your care, Lord.   All of it, not just parts of it. In all  things, I resolve to look to God and ask to know his will for me---at every turn. In every situation, most especially in those situations I would prefer to keep hidden from him, even though I know that nothing is hidden from him. I open those places for his gaze and for his healing touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment