Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Spirit's Suggestion

Yesterday we meditated on God’s wonderful gift of the Holy Spirit, which has been poured into our hearts. (Romans 5:5). Today I’d like to consider the process that takes place within us when we forget that we have access to the Spirit, or when we think or act in ways that are clearly not of the Holy Spirit.

We mention these things in the Confiteor: “I have gravely sinned, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done and in what I have failed to do.”

Let’s look at a simple example, something which most of us are prone to do quite regularly. My sin: One of my brother monks irks me, and whenever I see him, I find something to criticize about him. Stupid things, petty things, etc. Now actually isn’t HE who irks me, it is I who IRK myself by my unwillingness to think charitably about him.

Here is an instance where I am not accessing the Holy Spirit within me. But then, the Holy Spirit takes the initiative, and raises a gentle suggestion in my mind: “Let’s give him permission to be who he is. Let’s include all parts of him, and his actions, and his words, and his style, within this permission. Let’s accept the fact that he is a significant part of our life, as he is, and that he has the Holy Spirit within him as well. Let’s expand our world enough to include him. AS.HE.IS.”


And I am at peace. And he begins to look beautiful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment