Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Sunday, August 16, 2015

Meditation continued

Many people like to repeat a short prayer, or even a simple word or phrase, when they meditate. The idea is not to think about the words, but simply to repeat them as a way of directing the mind to one stable thing in an attempt to override other potential distractions. It is also good to repeat your word, phrase or prayer in rhythm with your breathing. Again, when you realize that your mind has wandered, simply gently repeat your word again and put you attention back on your breath. Here are a few phrases which I have found helpful:
·         I need you, Lord
·         help me today
·         I am deeply afflicted
·         guide me, Lord
·         thank you, Lord
·         O God come to my assistance

·         make me yours

No comments:

Post a Comment