Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, August 24, 2015

Your patron saint

Today is the feast of St. Bartholomew, also known as Nathanael, the who Jesus said, “is a true Israelite in whom there is no guile.” I can’t help thinking of my friend Nathanael, who has clearly inherited the graces given to his patron, because he is a true Christian, in whom there is no guile.

Sometimes we are given to share in the special graces given to our patron. Is that true for you?

At other times, we can look to our patron for inspiration and prayer. I know that when I was about to become a novice monk, my then Abbot Joseph asked me to consider taking the name “Bede” and I objected that I was so much unlike him. “Perhaps, he replied, but St. Bede has what you want.” And that has been proven true.


Sometimes we might pray to our patrons to ask God to give us the types of graces that characterized their time on earth. Could this possibly be true for you as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment