Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Thursday, August 27, 2015

Hidden treasures

Last night I was looking something up in the book of the prophet Isaiah, when my eyes fell upon a verse that I hadn’t been looking for. But there it was, a great promise made by God to someone he had called to do a great and wonderful thing. The promise is this:

“I will give you treasures out of the darkness,
and riches that have been hidden away,
that you may know that I am the Lord,
the God of Israel, who calls you by your name.” (Isaiah 45:3)

Consider this promise, you who have been called by God who is leading you on a spiritual journey or quest. Not only is it a promise, but it is also an announcement of what has already happened to you.
In your quest, have you not discovered “treasures out of the darkness” (=things that you couldn’t see or understand previously)? Have you not been given “riches that have been hidden away” (=gifts and blessings that you weren’t even aware of until you began to take your journey seriously)?

But don’t just go by my words. Search the promise yourself. What might be these treasures and riches? Just be careful not to think of them in a worldly way. Rather, understand them as coming from the Spirit who, we discovered, has been poured into our hearts.


God bless you this day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment