Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Saturday, August 8, 2015

Losing and finding, part two

When I give without strings, when I serve without seeking praise or recompense, when I let God use me and delight in watching his power at work, when I decrease and see Him increase, when my focus is on his goodness rather than on my own iniquity, when I listen to the other and not to my own mind’s infernal chatter, it is then that I am most alive, most energetic, most truly myself.

When I live out the words, “He who loses himself for my sake will find it (i.e., will discover who he is)--then I have learned that the most real way of living is to live in the truth of the challenge.

Do I really live all these things fully and without compromise? Of course I don’t—because I am a sinner weakened by the effects of Original Sin and, like the prodigal son, I frequently squander my inheritance and lose sight of my homeland. But I am a sinner redeemed by Christ, and He has redeemed me, and continually finds ways-very creative ways at times-to draw me back despite all the deceits and snares of the enemy.


No comments:

Post a Comment